Teacher Training Program
What is Teacher Training Program?
The Teacher training program is similar to the Foundation Program and has two primary purposes:
- To provide an extensive presentation of specific advanced subjects of Mahayana Buddhism, deepening the students’ knowledge and experience of Buddhism, and
- To train the students as qualified teachers of the New Kadampa Tradition. TTP is similar to the Foundation Program though it has more commitments. All Resident Teachers of Kadampa Buddhist Centers follow this in-depth program of study and practice.
Learn more about FP and TTP programs by visiting Wishfulfilling Jewels for Dharma Practitioners by Venerable Geshe Kelsang Gyatso
What is studied?
The Teacher Training Program takes approximately twelve years to complete and requires an enrollment procedure. The program comprises the following twelve subjects, based on Buddha’s Sutra and Tantra teachings and the corresponding commentaries by Venerable Geshe Kelsang Gyatso:
1. The Stages of the Path to Enlightenment, based on the commentary Joyful Path of Good Fortune
2. Training the Mind, based on the commentaries Universal Compassion and Eight Steps to Happiness
3. The Heart Sutra, based on the commentary Heart of Wisdom
4. Guide to the Bodhisattva’s Way of Life, based on the commentary Meaningful to Behold
5. Types of Mind, based on the commentary How to Understand the Mind
6. Guide to the Middle Way, based on the commentary Ocean of Nectar
7. Vajrayana Mahamudra, based on the commentary Clear Light of Bliss
8. The Bodhisattva’s Moral Discipline, based on the commentary The Bodhisattva Vow
9. Offering to the Spiritual Guide, based on the commentaries Great Treasury of Merit and Mahamudra Tantra
10. Vajrayogini Tantra, based on the commentary Guide to Dakini Land
11. Grounds and Paths of Secret Mantra, based on the commentary Tantric Grounds and Paths
12. The Practice of Heruka Body Mandala, based on the commentary Essence of Vajrayana
How do I join?
In general, students follow the Foundation Program until they and the KMC Georgia Eduction Program Coordinator feel they are ready for the Teacher Training Program. For more information, please contact the Education Program Coordinator for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org or (678) 453-6753.
How much does it cost?
Please see our Membership page to learn about the Teacher Training Program giving level, along with all the other benefits it provides. Please note that if you live outside of the Atlanta area, you may follow the TTP via correspondence at a reduced price.